The Samsung Galaxy S3 features the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich platform. The 4G Internet connection is fast, and the dual-core processor makes it even faster. The eight-megapixel camera takes pictures with exceptional quality with the help of S Beam, software that is designed to enhance photographs. For the features offered by Samsung, the pricing is appropriate. Many people are pleased with the performance of this phone.
Samsung is known for producing phones that perform. The Galaxy S II sold over 50 million units worldwide, and the Galaxy S3 is expected to be no different. The pre-sale orders in the U.K. set a record. Many of the features exceed expectations. Users can expect the phone to include features such as: 1280×720 screen resolution, flexible glass or FOLED Technology, 4.8-inch Screen, 4G Internet capabilities and an 8-megapixel Camera.
The phone uses the latest Android platform technology known as the Ice Cream sandwich. Advanced features such as voice integration, speech-to-text dictation, virtual buttons and keyboard error correction are expected to enhance user experience. Users are enjoying features such as Face Unlock, a facial recognition software.
When programs are running in the background and using resources, a shut down mechanism is available. The flexible OLED screen technology and 3D screen with NFC technology is expected to impress customers. The phone features an 8-megapixel camera, 1.8 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage. With the camera, users may be able to record images with 1080p technology at 30 frames per second.
Advantages: “The Hype”
- 4G Internet Capable. Everyone wants faster Internet, and the 4G capable phone delivers. The technology is available to facilitate some of the fastest connections on the market.
- 4.8-inch AMOLED Screen. The screen is one of the largest in the industry. The screen is so large that people with small hands may have difficulty with one-hand operation to complete tasks. The high-definition Super AMOLED yields vivid and high contrast imagery.
- Lightweight. The phone is light weight and is not cumbersome to carry. The phone only weighs 133 grams and measures 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm in size.
- Eight-megapixel Camera Rear Camera. The camera takes pictures in high clarity. The images are sharp and crisp with this particular camera.
- 720p Front Camera. This camera provides the flexibility that phone users desire and fairly high resolution.
- Android 4+ Platform with TouchWiz 4. The proprietary touch screen interface is coveted by many.
- Longer Battery Life. Battery life is extended in the phone, but it is still not up to par for heavy users.
- NFC-Enabled. Near Field communications is useful for customers that want to connect to peripherals without wires.
- Smart Stay. Smart Stay instantly recognizes when the user is looking at the phone screen. The screen remains bright until the user looks away.
- Samsung’s S Voice. S Voice still needs some attention to work out the technical glitches. However in a head to head comparison to the iPhone 4s the Galaxy S3 held its own and offered more capabilities.
The price of the Galaxy S3 is approximately $900 retail, but it is offered on Amazon for as low as $699 without a contract. With an AT&T contract, the phone can be obtained for $189. Other providers may offer different deals. The phone is currently available for back-order on Amazon.com. Users are encouraged to shop around to find the best price. Warranties, insurance plans and upgrades may affect the overall price of the Samsung Galaxy phone.
The Samsung Galaxy phone operates, for the most part, according to specifications. There may be some features that may be frustrating to use, but overall the phone performs as stated by the manufacturer. Usually, Samsung products perform true to specification, or the company would not be as successful in selling volumes of smartphones.
Overall, there are more advantages to the phone than disadvantages. The phone allows consumers the ability to customize the phone to their specifications. The phone only has three physical buttons: Power, volume and Home. Most buttons are virtual. Samsung focuses on wireless connectivity. Thus, the phone is missing a mini HDMI port and MHL port. The battery cover is easy to remove and allows accessibility to the 2100 mAh battery.
Disadvantages: Common Complaints
- Extended Battery Power. The screen and 4G service are the source of much of the battery drain in extended use. When not in use it is recommended to turn off the 4G.
- Screen Dim. Users also reported the screen being too dim in normal lighting conditions.
- Gorilla Glass Ineffective. Gorilla Glass does not always protect against scratches. Additional protective screens may be required.
- Screen Smudges Easily. The screen attracts smudges easily.
- No Dedicated HDMI or MHL. Without a dedicated HDMI, some devices cannot be attached without an adapter or NFC technology.
Since the phone is newly released, the evidence is inconclusive about whether the phone will live up to the hype that has been generated. Experts expect that Samsung will have another top seller based upon the rumors swirling around the phone. The fast processor, Super AMOLED screen, 8-megapixel camera, 2GB Ram and 4G Internet are enough to pique the interest of the masses.
The Samsung Galaxy S3 is recommended based on the specifications and features. If Samsung improves the battery life for heavy use and improves S Voice, there will be little to complain about the phone aside from the usability of infrequently-used features. At the time of this writing this is the most powerful and functional phone on the market.